~~~

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Shaker Card Tutorial for a Traditional Shaker...using my Surprise Holiday Shaker Card




There are so many ways out there anymore to make a shaker card, but I would like to show you today how I make a traditional shaker card.  It really isn't very hard once you get the hang of it, and they really are so much more fun than a typical card that you can't "play' with.  They are so much fun for the holidays and especially if you have children on the card giving list.  However, I am thinking that I have heard of so many adults really enjoying playing with these too.  So, let's get started...



These are the basics to get your shaker card going. 

~You can choose whatever shaker material that suits your card best.
~Nice heavy cardstock, because shaker cards can tend to get a bit heavy and really need a nice supportive base to keep it sturdy.
~Any other papers that you will be using to design your card with.
~Dimensional tape
~I like to use the Bumblebee scissors when cutting the dimensional tape, because they don't stick to the tape like some scissors do.
~Ruler
~3 in 1 craft glue
~Acetate for the clear shaker window
~Nestability or anything that you use to cut your frame with.

Whatever shaker material that you choose.  I chose to use both, stars and snow for mine, but there are many things that you can fill a shaker with.




You'll want to have your image cut out  so that you know how big it is going to be and how big of a card that you are going to need to work with in order for the shaker to fit and still give you room to decorate it. 
Prepare your image by coloring it, layering or glittering, and let it dry before going any farther.  While you are waiting for your image to dry, you could always start working on your card base and getting it ready, since you should know the size of card that you will need at this point. 

Once you are done with your card base, decide where you want your image to be on your card and then measure a piece of desired cardstock to match the size of the paper that your image is on.  Take your nestability or whatever you choose to cut with (it can be any size or shape that you choose), then center it on your cardstock and cut out the center of the cardstock.  This is going to be your shaker window.  Be sure to leave enough room on ALL sides to be able to fit the double sided dimensional tape.  You don't want that to be sticking out anywhere.






Decorate that Shaker window cardstock any way that you like.  You can run it through the cuttlebug and emboss or whatever you would like.  I like to get this piece all decorated before I put the card together, but you don't have to do it that way.  You can piece your card together first and then decorate it.  I kind of like to see what things are going to look like before I put it all together in case I don't like it, then I can change it. 

The next step is something that you must take your time and be patient and precise.  I like to put a fairly thin line of glue down each side of the backside of the cardstock shaker window.  Do ensure that the glue line is even and covering each of the sides.  Do not overdo the glue though, because it will run when you try to secure it and it can seep into the window area.  This will really upset you as you will have to cut a new piece of acetate and try again.  Carefully place your acetate down on the glue side of the cardstock and again wait patiently for this to dry, because it can slide and ruin all the work you have already done if it is not completely dry. 

This is where you should be right now....Your window piece should be ready to go.





Ok, get your dimensional tape out and your shaker material ready




This step is also VERY, VERY important!!  You must line your shaker window with dimensional tape and you ABSOLUTELY MUST line your tape up evenly to have the tape meet perfectly at each corner.  Do not allow any gaps in the tape, or else your shaker material will leak out.  Unless you have a really thick dimensional tape, you will find that you are probably going to have to double layer the tape to give enough room for the shaker material to move around. 





Add your shaker material, but be careful not to overdo this either, because even though you may think you need more, you really need very little to fill these windows up without having it overtake your image.  Some shaker materials can seem to be static-y (don't know if that is a word), so you might want to check this out before using it.  I had heard somewhere that if you rub a dryer sheet over your clear window that it won't stick, but I can't see that not smudging or scratching the window, so I have not tried this myself. 

Remove the backing on the 3d tape and get ready to place your image over the window.  It's hard to know how you are placing an image when you are doing it upside down, but try to place your image as evenly as you can to line up with the tape on the shaker window.  When you get your image placed where you like it, be sure to press down around the frame to secure the tape to the image with no gaps or openings for your shaker material to leak out of.




This is what it should look like when you have completely secured your image to the window.




Now your have your completed shaker window, and all you have to do is decide where you are going to place it on your card, and then glue it down.





Your shaker material should flow freely within the window if all was done correctly, and you are ready to give your fun, interactive card to someone special in your life. 






I would absolutely love to see your shaker project that you try and hope that this tutorial will make it a little easier as well as possibly inspire you to try one of your own if you haven't done one before.

I am happy to answer any questions that you have or look at your links of your projects if you wish to contact me, and thank you  very much for taking the time to view my tutorial. 

Have a wonderful day, and Happy Crafting!  : )

14 comments:

Jane, at Thepaperaffair said...

OH my, turned out very pretty. lots of work here. I just did a shaker too, but differently. Love the stars and snow in it and YES, sure is fun to play with a shaker card. TFS

Tieva-Design said...

What a beautyfull card.

LG
GABI

Michelle's Daydreams said...

Thanks for showing us how to do this Carolyn. :) I'm going to be giving this a try very soon. :) Michelle

Sue McMahon said...

Awesome tutorial, Carolyn! You know I've been waiting for you to show me how to do this!!! Thank you! :)

Hugs

Dianne said...

Carolyn - what a stunning card. I just might have to case this, if it is alright with you. It is one of the prettiest Christmas cards I have seen.

Thank you for the tutorial.

Carolyn said...

Hi Dianne~ Thank you! You are more than welcome to case my card as long as it is for your own personal use. I appreciate that you like my card that much. Have fun with it.

Carolyn :)

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Carolyn - what an amzing tutorial, you have made me feel like I could make one of these Shaker Cards...you teach well! Your card is so pretty, one of the loveliest Christmas ever!! Thank you for sharing and for your lovely and supportive comments on my Blog!! {{{hugs}}}

Karen W said...

I love this and really want to try this but I have a question, how did you attach the front part taht flips open? I can't see that in the direction. Thanks so much for an awesome idea. jkwallace@mchsi.com if you answer me.

Carolyn said...

Hi Karen, Thanks for the question. I am thinking that you are referring to the little door flap that is on the front part of the shaker. It is not attached persay, but I made it a little swinging door with my oval nestie, so it is just a fold in the paper. No need to have to worry about attaching it that way. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them. I am anxious to see what you make. I love your work.

Carolyn :)

Sassy Scrapper said...

Your card is amazing! I bought the same stamp from Chelsea it's just darling as are all her stamps. I'd love to give this card a try but I am still not clear as to how the window opens to reveal the shaker. Is it a seperate piece perhaps the piece that was cut out from your nestibility, layerd, scored on the left then glued on?
Smiles Bonnie

Carolyn said...

The piece that I used as a door for my shaker card was made with my scalloped oval nestability. I used the square piece that I chose to be the frame for my shaker window and centered my oval nestie on it and in my case, I put a double layered piece of cardstock under the blade portion of the nestie that I did not want to cut so that it would leave an attached piece that would just fold to open and close. It is much easier to do that than to try to glue a piece and try to get it on straight and even. I hope you will give it a try and let me know how it turns out for you. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thanks for dropping by. Have a great day.

Carolyn :)

Unknown said...

hi carolyn, your card is stunning, loving the hidden shaker idea. thank you so much for the tutorial. its amazing!!!
im so glad i found & entered the midnight madness challenge, the whole DT is super talented...now im gonna stalk you he he

love emma xxx

Chelsea said...

Great tutorial Carolyn! Don't mind if I try this in the future. You are so sweet and kind for sharing your technique. Thanks for the inspiration! :)Chelsea

suebolton said...

thanks for your smashing tutorial . I could not understand what people were talking about when they said Shaker, but now I do and I want to be brave and try it myself. I will have to buy the things I need first.